About this pathway
The Pre-Masters in Science and Engineering prepares you for a choice of progression degrees at Durham University. You will join the programme for two or three terms, depending on your academic qualifications and level of English language.
You can choose from a range of postgraduate degrees to progress to when you complete this course.
Who is this programme for?
This programme is for international students looking to study a postgraduate science or postgraduate engineering degree at Durham University.
- Choose from a range of degrees within the Department of Engineering, Department of Mathematical Sciences and Department of Psychology.
- Develop your academic knowledge, English language level and study skills needed for progression to your chosen Masters degree.
- Study core modules and designated modules related to your chosen specialism.
- Adjust to the UK education system and explore concepts, terminology and advanced academic writing needed to succeed at postgraduate level.
- Develop practical skills with research projects and laboratory experience.
Why join this November?
Join us in November and stay on track to progress to your degree in September 2023.
By starting in November, you will benefit from three additional weeks of study and life skills before commencing your main pathway programme in January 2023. There will be no additional tuition fee for this period, and this will provide you with a great opportunity for an enhanced student experience focusing on three key areas: orientation; practical support and academic and digital skills. Topics will include a digital skills health check; managing your money; practical tips on finding study and life balance; and an introduction to assessments in UK higher education.
What will I study in the additional three weeks?
You’ll benefit from a 15-hour per week face-to-face classes, allowing you to:
- feel more confident and better prepared for the start of your January programme of study
- practice your English by interacting with the fellow students and build friendships
- assess your own digital skills proficiency
- meet the key Centre staff who will provide advice for success
- familiarise yourselves with the support available
- apply a range of academic study skills to meet your individual needs.
- have more time to adapt to the UK life and settle in before you begin your January programme.
Are there any additional cost or fees?
There will be no additional tuition fee, as November starts will have the same tuition fee as the respective January programme. However, there will be additional costs to consider, as expected with being in the UK for a longer period (i.e. accommodation). If you request accommodation on your application form, our Central Student Support Team will contact you directly in October regarding the options available.
Why study this programme?
Take the first step towards a world-renowned Masters degree at Durham University with this specialist programme.
- 4th in the UK for General Engineering (Complete University Guide, Subject League Table 2022).
- World top 100 for Psychology (QS World Subject Rankings 2022).
- State-of-the-art research equipment and facilities across a range of disciplines.