Correct as of 26.03.2020 at 09:00 GMT

Local support information for current students

Question Answer
Is the University open or ISC/College open? In the light of the current situation within the UK, we have taken a decision to suspend classes at Durham University International Study Centre with all teaching and learning continuing online until further notice.

We will be sharing specific information with all students on how to use and access your learning online so please keep checking your emails and look out for this guidance.
What campus facilities are currently available? The Welfare office at Endervour will be open with a member of staff available. Endervour Central will be open as normal. The Canteen will be available to pick up sandwiches at lunch (pay as you go). However, this is subject to government guidelines.
Can I stay in my accommodation? Where it is not possible for students to travel home, International Study Centre accommodation remains open. We are working with our partners and putting in place plans to ensure this continues to be the case.

If you booked your accommodation privately, please check with your accommodation provider for further information.
What is the current health advice in the UK? The official updates from the UK government provide the latest health advice and information on how to help prevent the spread of infection in the UK.

View the UK government’s information for the public on the coronavirus .
What should I do if I am in the UK and I feel unwell? If you show the symptoms of COVID-19 then you should follow official UK medical advice which is found below, along with details about how to self-isolate. You should also contact the Study Centre for further information.

Stay at home for 14 days if you have either:
  • A high temperature
  • A new continuous cough
This will help to protect others in your community while you are infectious. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You do not need to contact NHS 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.

View the government’s advice on what to do if you are displaying symptoms of the coronavirus .
What support services are available to students that remain on campus? The library and gym are closed. Endervour Central will be open as normal. The welfare office will be open with a member of staff. The canteen will be open to provide sandwich during lunch time (pay as you go). However, this is subject to government guidelines There will be interactive activities online via DUO.
Can I travel home? We are strongly recommending that all students in the UK travel home where possible and that this should be the option of choice.

It is especially urgent that students make travel arrangements as quickly as possible, as many countries are already imposing travel restrictions.

Students may wish to contact their Embassy or High Commission for advice on how to get home.

Study information

Question Answer
Is my course available online? Yes, your course will be available as an online course. We are currently in the process of setting up this facility and will be notifying all students over the next few weeks with details.

We are asking all students to continue to monitor their emails on a regular basis. You will be updated with details in advance of online classes going live.
How will you monitor my attendance? As teaching is moving to online learning, attendance will be monitored through engagement with online learning. More details will be provided by your tutors. Please continue to monitor emails for further information.
How can I complete my exams? No face-to-face assessments will take place while teaching and learning moves online, and we will advise on the plans for each specific programme of study in due course.

We will provide more guidance on assessments and exams relating to specific programmes of study in due course. These will be in line with approaches taken by our university partners and, as appropriate, with guidance that is due to be issued by the UK government’s Department for Education.
How will my visa be affected? If you have already started your programme and returned home to continue your studies online:

Tier 4 students are not normally permitted to undertake distance learning courses. However, due to the current exceptional circumstances, UK Visas and Immigration will permit you to continue your current studies online in the UK or overseas.

If you are unable to return home due to travel restrictions:
  • No individual who is in the UK legally, but whose visa is due to, or has already expired, and who cannot leave because of travel restrictions related to COVID-19, will be regarded as an over stayer, or suffer any detriment in the future.
  • A visa will be extended to 31 May 2020 if an individual cannot leave the UK because of travel restrictions or self-isolation related to coronavirus (COVID-19). Individuals must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team email to advise of their situation. We are currently in close contact with UK Visas and Immigration (the UK visa authority) who are working to minimise the impact on students’ studies. We will issue guidance on this as soon as it becomes available.
If you have not travelled to the UK and plan to begin your studies online:

You do not require a visa, if you are not travelling to the UK. We are currently in close contact with UK Visas and Immigration (the UK visa authority) who are working to minimise the impact on students’ studies. We will issue guidance on this as soon as it becomes available.

If you have you have not travelled to the UK or started your programme:

If you have been issued a visa and decide not to travel, you must inform us so that we can update your visa status with UK Visas and Immigration.

If you wish to defer your studies, you would need to apply for a new visa as your current visa would not cover the full period of study for the next course. Deferring your studies will not impact any future visa application if you decide not to travel.

If the visa application is still pending an outcome, you should contact the visa application centre to withdraw your visa application.

Additional Information

Where should I go if I have further questions?

For enquiries related to students who are already at the Study Centre, please contact the Centre. Please send all other enquiries to .